Nanditha Krishnan | October 12, 2021
This barley soup recipe is packed with flavor and easy to make! Like a stew, this soup is full of healthy veggies, beans, and a little simmering brings out a hearty dish everyone will love. The recipe only uses one pot for easy clean up and you can also throw in any leftover green to this flexible recipe!
Here’s how to make this dish:
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ inch of ginger, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 cup of hulled barley
- ½ of a small cabbage, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 handful of spinach, chopped
- 1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 sprig of cilantro, finely chopped (for garnish) (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to get started:
- Rinse barley thoroughly, then soak your barley overnight in 6 cups of water (in a stove safe pot). Tip: Be sure to buy hulled barley, as it is easier to soak and cook thoroughly.
- The next morning, cook the barley in a pot with 6 cups of water till it is soft.
- In another pan, heat up a teaspoon of oil and sauté your garlic, ginger, and chili together.
- Once those are lightly browned, add your cabbage, sweet potato, carrot, spinach and spring onions to the same pan.
- After the vegetables are lightly cooked and soft, add all the barley including the water it was cooked in. Tip: Feel free to add any different types of greens and vegetables you like! At this point any leafy greens should look slightly wilted and other vegetables should be soft.
- Simmer your soup on a low flame for 5-7 minutes, and add salt and pepper as needed to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro or chopped spring onion and serve hot!
This barley soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat when serving and enjoy!
Let us know how your barley soups turn out in the comments section below!